Bibliography(Compiled, in part, by students at State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry and Additional Sources)
Abbey, Edward, Beyond the Wall: Essays from the Outside, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1984.
- Abbey, Edward, Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness, McGraw Hill, New York, 1969.
- Abbey, Edward, The Journey Home: Some Words in Defense of the American West, Dutton, New York, 1977.
- Abbey, Edward, The Monkey Wrench Gang, Lippencott, New York, 1975.
Allin, Craig W., The Politics of Wilderness Preservation, Greenwood, Westport, Connecticut, 1982.
Arthur Carhart National Wilderness Training Center, Wilderness Quotes, Keep Wilderness Wild.
Backes, David, (ed.), The Meaning of Wilderness: Essential Articles and Speeches by Sigurd F. Olson, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, 2001.
Benepe, Susan, Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Wilderness Use, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), Lander, Wyoming, 1992.
Bergon, Frank (ed.), The Wilderness Reader, New American Library, New York, 1980.
Birkby, Robert C., Lightly on the Land: The SCA trail building and maintenance manual, Mountaineers Books, 1996.
Borneman, Walter R., Saga of a Bold Land, Harper Collins, New York, 2003.
Brame, Susan Chadwick, An Introduction to Wildland Ethics and Management, National Outdoor Leadership School, Lander, Wyoming, 1992.
Brooks, Paul, The Pursuit of Wilderness, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1971.
- Brooks, Paul, How Literary Naturalists from Henry Thoreau to Rachel Carson Have Shaped America, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1980.
- Broome, Harvey, Faces of the Wilderness, Mountain Press Publishing Company, Missoula, Montana, 1972.
- Broome, Harvey, Out Under the Sky of the Great Smokies: A Personal Journal, Greenbrier Press, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1975.
- Brower, David, For Earth's Sake: The Life and Times of David Brower, Gibbs Smith, Salt Lake City, 1990.
- Brower, David, Wilderness: America's Living Heritage, Proceedings to the 7th Wilderness Conference, San Francisco, 1961, Sierra Club, San Francisco, 1961.
- Brower, David, Wildlands in Our Civilization, The Sierra Club, San Francisco, 1964.
Brown, Phil. (ed.), Bob Marshall in the Adirondacks: Writings of a Pioneering Peak-Bagger, Pond-Hopper and Wilderness Preservationist, Lost Pond Press, Saranac Lake, New York, 2006.
Brown, William E., This Last Treasure: Alaska National Parklands, Alaska Natural History Association, Anchorage, 1982.
Burks, David, Place of the Wild: A Wildlands Anthology, Island Press, Washington D.C., 1994.
Butcher, Clyde, Visions for the Next Millennium: Wilderness Photography, Focus on Preservation, Big Cypress Gallery, Ochopee, 1998.
Cahn, Robert, The Fight to Save Wild Alaska, National Audubon Society, New York, 1982.
Careless, Ric, To Save the Wild Earth: Field Notes from the Environmental Frontline, Raincoast Books, Vancouver, 1997.
Catton, Theodore, Inhabited Wilderness: Indians, Eskimos, and National Parks in Alaska (New American West Series), University of New Mexico Press, 1997.
Chaffey, John, Managing Wilderness Regions, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1996.
Chappell, Jack Wayne, The Wilderness Rape, Futurity Arts West Co., Boise, Idaho, 1999.
Chase, Alston, Playing God in Yellowstone: The Destruction of America's First National Park, Harcourt, San Diego, 1987.
Cockrell, David, The Wilderness Educator, ICS Books, Merrillville, Indiana, 1991.
Cole, David and Hampton, Bruce, Soft Paths, Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1988.
Cordell, Ken H., John C. Bergstrom, and Michael Bowker (Eds./Authors), The Multiple Values of Wilderness, Venture Publishing, College Station, Pennsylvania, 2005.
Cronon, William (ed.), Uncommon Ground: Towards Reinventing Nature, W.W. Norton, New York, 1995.
Darling, Frank Fraser, Wilderness and Plenty, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1970.
Demars, Stanford E, The Tourist in Yosemite, 1855-1985: Changing Perceptions of the American Wilderness, University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, 1991.
Devall, Bill, and Sessions, George, Deep Ecology, Gibbs Smith, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1985.
Donlan, Edward F., The American Wilderness and its Future: Conservation Versus Use, Franklin Watts, New York, 1992.
Douglas, William O., Farewell to Texas: A Vanishing Wilderness, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1967.
- Douglas, William O., A Wilderness Bill of Rights, Little Brown, Boston, MA, 1965.
- Douglas, William O., My Wilderness: East to Katahdin, Doubleday, Garden City, New York, 1962.
- Douglas, William O., My Wilderness: The Pacific West, Doubleday, Garden City, New York, 1960.
Drury, Jack and Bonney, Bruce, The Backcountry Classroom, Globe Pequot Press, Guilford, Connecticut, 1992.
Dubasak, Marilyn, Wilderness Preservation: A Cross Cultural Comparison of Canada and the United States, Garland, New York, 1990.
Dustin, Daniel, The Wilderness Within: Reflections on Leisure and Life, Sagamore, Champaign, Ill., 1999.
Eisley, Loren, The Immense Journey , Random House, New York, 1957.
- Eisley, Loren, The Star Thrower, Times Books, New York, 1978.
Fielder, John, Mountain Ranges of Colorado, Westcliff Publishing, 2004
Flader, Susan, Thinking Like a Mountain: Aldo Leopold and the Evolution of an Ecological Attitude Towards Deer, Wolves, and Forests, University of Missouri Press, Columbia, 1974.
- Flader, Susan L. and J. Baird Callicott, (eds.), The River of the Mother of God and Other Essays by Aldo Leopold, The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, Wisconsin, 1991.
Foreman, Dave and Wolke, Howie, The Big Outside: A Descriptive Inventory of the Big Wilderness Areas of the United States, Harmony, New York, 1992.
- Foreman, Dave, Confessions of an Eco Warrior, Harmony, New York, 1991.
- Foreman, Dave, Rewilding North America: A Vision for Conservation for the 21st Century, Island Press, 2004.
Frome, Michael, (ed.), Issues in Wilderness Management, Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 1985.
- Frome, Michael, Battle for Wilderness, Praeger, New York, 1974.
- Frome, Michael, Conscience of a Conservationist: Selected Essays, University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1989.
- Frome, Michael, Promised Land: Adventures and Encounters in Wild America, Morrow, New York, 1985.
- Frome, Michael, Regreening the National Parks, University of Arizona Press, Tucson, Arizona, 1992.
Glover, James A., A Wilderness Original: The Life of Bob Marshall, The Mountaineers Press, Seattle, 1986.
Goodman, Doug and McCool, Daniel, Contested Landscape: The Politics of Wilderness in Utah and the West, University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, 1999.
Gorman, James, Yosemite and the Invention of Wilderness, New York Times, September 2, 2003.
Graber, Linda H., Wilderness as a Sacred Place, Association of American Geographers, Washington, D.C., 1976.
Graf, William L., Wilderness Preservation and the Sagebrush Rebellions, Rowman and Littlefield, Savage, Maryland, 1990.
Hammitt, William E. and Cole, David N., Wildland Recreation: Ecology and Management, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
Harvey, Mark, A Symbol of Wilderness: Echo Park and The American Conservation Movement, University of Washington, Seattle, 2000.
- Harvey, Mark, Wilderness Forever: Howard Zahniser and the Path to the Wilderness Act, University of Washington Press, Seattle, 2005.
Haycox, Stephen W., Alaska: an American Colony, University of Washington Press, Seattle, 2002.
Heilman, Carl, Adirondacks: Views of an American Wilderness, Rizzoli International, New York, 1999.
Hendee, John C. and Dawson, Chad P., Wilderness Management: Stewardship and Protection of Resources and Values, Third Edition, Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, Colorado, 2002.
- Hendee, John C., Stankey, George H., and Lucas, Robert C., Wilderness Management, Second Edition, North American Press, Golden, Colorado, 1990.
Irland, Lloyd C., Wilderness Economics and Policy, Lexington Books, Lexington, Massachusetts, 1979.
Jeffers, Robinson, The Collected Poetry of Robinson Jeffers, Stanford University Press, Stanford, 1988.
Kallen, Stuart A. (editor), How Should America's Wilderness Be Managed? Greenhaven Press, Michigan, 2005.
Kane, Karen, Wilderness Remembered: The Magnificence of North America as Seen through the Eyes of the First Explorers, Northwood, Windsor, Minnetonka, Minnesota, 1999.
Kauffmann, John M., Alaska's Brooks Range: the Ultimate Mountains, Washington Mountaineers, Seattle, 1992.
Kerasote, Ted (ed.), Return of the Wild: The Future of Our National Lands, Island Press, Washington, D.C., 2001.
Kilgore, Bruce (ed.), Wilderness in a Changing World, Proceedings of the 9th Wilderness Conference, San Francisco, 1965, Sierra Club, San Francisco, 1966.
Klyza, Christopher McGrory (ed.), Wilderness Come Home: Rewilding the Northeast, Middlebury College Press, Hanover, New Hampshire, 2001.
Lawrence, Bill, The Early American Wilderness: As the Explorers Saw It, Paragon House, New York, 1991.
Leave No Trace, Center for Outdoor Ethics, Skills and Ethics booklet series
- Alaskan Tundra
- Backcountry Horse Use
- Desert and Canyon Country
- Lakes Regions
- Mountain Bicycling
- North American
- Northeast Mountains
- Pacific Northwest
- Rock Climbing
- Rocky Mountain
- Sea Kayaking
- Sierra Nevada Mountains
- Southeastern States
- Tropical Rainforests
- Western River Corridors
Leopold, Aldo, A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There, Oxford University Press, New York, 1949.
- Leopold, Aldo, Round River: From the Journals of Aldo Leopold, Oxford University Press, New York, 1996.
- Leopold, Aldo, The River of the Mother of God, University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, Wisconsin, 1993.
Lopez, Barry, Of Wolves and Men, Charles Scribner, New York, 1978.
Lorbiecki, Marybeth, Aldo Leopold: A Fierce Green Fire, Falcon Publishing, Helena and Billings, Montana, 1996.
Louv, Richard, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, Updated and Expanded Edition, Algonquin Books, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2008.
MacKaye, Benton, The New Exploration, Harcourt, Brace and Company, New York, 1928.
Malaspina, Ann, Saving the American Wilderness, Lucent Books, San Diego, 1999.
Manning, Harvey, Wilderness Alps: Conservation and Conflict in Washington's North Cascades, Northwest Wild Books, Bellingham, WA. 2007.
Manzo, Benttina, Mineral Exploration in the Wilderness, University of Wyoming Libraries, Laramie, Wyoming, 1983.
Marshall, Robert, Alaska Wilderness, University of California Press, Berkeley, 1956.
- Marshall, Robert, The People's Forests, University of Iowa Press, Iowa City, Iowa, 2002.
Martin, Vance, For the Conservation of Earth, Fulcrum, Golden, Colorado, 1988.
Matz, George, World Heritage Wilderness: From the Wrangells to Glacier Bay, Alaska Northwest Publishing Co., Anchorage, 1999.
May, Allan, A Voice in the Wilderness, Nelson-Hall, Chicago, 1978
McCloskey, Maxine and Gilligan, James P. (eds.), Wilderness and the Quality of Life, Proceedings of the 10th Wilderness Conference, San Francisco, 1967, Sierra Club, San Francisco, 1969.
- McCloskey, Maxine (ed.), Wilderness: The Edge of Knowledge, Proceedings of the 11th Wilderness Conference, San Francisco, 1969, Sierra Club, San Francisco, 1969.
McGiveney, Annette, Leave No Trace: A Practical Guide to the New Wilderness Ethic, Mountaineers, Seattle, 1998.
McPhee, John, Encounters with the Archdruid, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, New York, 1971.
- McPhee, John, Coming into the Country, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, New York, 1977.
- Meine, Curt and Richard L. Knight, (eds.), The Essential Aldo Leopold: Quotations and Commentaries, The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, Wisconsin, 1999, featuring "Wilderness: A Place of Humility," introduced by Terry Tempest Williams, pp. 99-115.
Miles, John C., Wilderness in National Parks: Playground or Preserve, University of Washington Press, Seattle, Washington, 2009.
Muir, John, The Wilderness World of John Muir, with an introduction and interpretive comments by Edwin Way Teale, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1954.
- Muir, John, Gentle Wilderness: The Sierra Nevadas, Sierra Club, San Francisco, 1973.
- Muir, John, Wilderness Essays, Gibbs-Smith Publisher, Salt Lake City, 1980.
- Muir, John, Heaven on Earth: Explorations into the Wilderness, Press Intermezzo, Austin, Texas, 1998.
Murie, Margaret and Olaus, The Wapiti Wilderness, Knopf, New York, 1966.
- Murie, Margaret, Two in the Far North, 2nd ed., Alaska Northwest Publishing Co., Anchorage, 1978.
Nash, Roderick, Wilderness and the American Mind, Fourth Edition, Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut, 2001.
Nelson, Richard, The Island Within, North Point Press, San Francisco, 1989.
Norris, Frank, Alaska Subsistence: a National Park Service Management History, NPS, Anchorage, 2002.
Noss, Reed, Saving Natures Legacy, Island Press, Washington D.C., 1994.
Oelschlaeger, Max, The Ideal of Wilderness from Prehistory to the Age of Ecology, Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut 1991.
Olmsted, Frederick Law, Yosemite and the Mariposa Grove: A preliminary Report, 1865, Yosemite Association, 1993.
Olson, Sigurd F., The Meaning of Wilderness: Essential Articles and Speeches, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2001.
- Olson, Sigurd F., Reflections from the North Country, Knopf, New York, 1976.
- Olson, Sigurd F., Runes of the North, Knopf, New York, 1963.
- Olson, Sigurd F., Sigurd F. Olson's Wilderness Days, Knopf, New York, 1972.
- Olson, Sigurd F., Listening Point, Knopf, New York, 1958.
Patric, James H., Whither Wilderness?: How Much is Enough? Heartland Institute, Chicago, 1998.
Peterle, Tony, Wildlife management in North American Wilderness, Wildlife Society, Bethesda, Maryland, 1996. IV.E4
Phillips, Rod, "Forest Beatniks" and "Urban Thoreaus": Gary Snyder, Jack Kerouac, Lew Welch, and Michael McClure, Peter Lang, New York, 1999.
Player, Ian, Zululand Wilderness: Shadow and Soul, David Philip Publishers, Cape Town, 1997.
Ronald, Ann, editor, Words for the Wild: The Sierra Club Trailside Reader, Sierra Club Books, San Francisco, 1987.
Rosenbergh, Kenneth A., Wilderness Preservation: a Reference Handbook, ABC-CLIO, New York, 1994.
Roth, Dennis M., The Wilderness Movement and National Forests, Intaglia Press, College Station, Texas, 1988.
Rudzitis, Gundars, Wilderness and the Changing American West, Wiley, New York, 1996.
Runte, Alfred, Yosemite: Embattled Wilderness, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1990.
Sax, Joseph, Mountains without Handrails: Reflections on the National Parks, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1980.
Schaefer, Paul, Defending Wilderness: The Writings of Paul Schaefer, Syracuse University Press, Syracuse, 1989.
Schoenfeld, Clarence A. and Hendee, John C., Wildlife Management in Wilderness, Boxwood Press, Pacific Grove, California, 1980.
Schulte, Stephen C., Wayne Aspinall and the Shaping of the American West. University Press of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, 2002.
Schwarz, William (ed.), Voices of the Wilderness, Ballantine, New York, 1969.
Scott, Douglas W., A Wilderness-Forever Future: A Short History of the National Wilderness Preservation System, American Wilderness Campaign, Washington, D.C., 2001.
- Scott, Douglas W., The Enduring Wilderness: Protecting Our Natural Heritage through the Wilderness Act, Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, Colorado, 2004.
- Scott, Douglas W., Our Wilderness: America's Common Ground, Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, Colorado, 2009.
Sheldon, Charles, The Wilderness of Denali, Scribner, London, New York, 1930.
Shepard, Paul, Coming Home to the Pleistocene, Island Press, Washington D.C., 1998.
- Shepard, Paul, The Tender Carnivore and the Sacred Game, Scribner, New York, 1973.
Smith, Thomas G., Green Republican: John Saylor and the Preservation of America's Wilderness, University of Pittsburgh Press., Pittsburgh, 2006.
Snyder, Gary, A Place in Space, Counterpoint Press, Washington, D.C., 1996.
- Snyder, Gary, The Practice of the Wild, North Point Press, San Francisco, 1990.
- Snyder, Gary, Earth House Hold, New Directions, New York, 1969.
- Snyder, Gary, Riprap and Cold Mountain Poems, North Point Press, New York, 1993.
- Snyder, Gary, Turtle Island, New Directions, New York, 1974.
Stegner, Wallace, Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the American West, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1954.
- Stegner, Wallace, Wilderness Letter, Red Butte Press, Salt Lake City, 1995.
Terrie, Philip G., Forever Wild: A Cultural History of Wilderness in the Adirondacks, Syracuse University Press, Syracuse, New York, 1994.
Thoreau, Henry David, Walden, Yale University Press, New Haven, 2004 (original 1854).
- Thoreau, Henry David, The Maine Woods, Princeton University Press, 2004, (original 1864).
Udall, Stewart, The Quiet Crisis and the Next Generation, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1963.
Vickery, Jim Dale, Wilderness Visionaries, NorthWord Press, Minocqua, Wisconsin, 1994.
Watkins, T.H. and Byrnes, Patricia, The World of Wilderness: Essays on the Power and Purpose of Wild Country, Roberts Rinehart, Niwot, Colorado, 1995.
Weinstock, Edward. B., The Wilderness War: The Struggle to Preserve America's Wildlands, J. Messner, New York, 1982.
Wellman, John Douglas, Wildland Recreation Policy, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1987.
Wheat, Frank, California Desert Miracle: Fight for Desert Parks and Wilderness, Sunbelt Publications, San Diego, 1999.
Wilderness Society, The, The Wilderness Act Handbook, 3rd Edition, The Wilderness Society, Washington D.C., 1998.
Williss, G. Frank, "Do Things Right the First Time": the NPS and the Alaska National Interest Conservation Act of 1980, NPS, Denver, 1985.
Wolf, Tom, Arthur Carhart: Wilderness Prophet, University Press of Colorado, 2008.
Zaslowsky, Dyan and Watkins, T.H., These American Lands: Parks, Wilderness and the Public Lands, Revised and Expanded Edition, Island Press, Washington, D.C., 1994.
Zeveloff, Samuel, Vause, Mikel L., and McVaugh, William H. (eds.), Wilderness Tapestry: An Eclectic Approach to Preservation, University of Nevada Press, Reno, Nevada, 1992.