- Interactive Map (uses GIS data, for fast Internet connections)
- Digital version of the 2014 50th anniversary printed wilderness map: front (map) and back (interpretive information)
- Static Map (for slow Internet connections, current to 2009 only)
Disclaimer Wilderness.net's GIS-based map overlays legislative designated wilderness boundaries on satellite data provided by ESRI and Bing Maps. Boundary updates are obtained from the wilderness management agencies. Boundary names containing "(Draft boundary)" have not been finalized and are not official. Different wildernesses treat inholdings differently, so you should consult agency-specific maps to identify the exact location of private inholdings within wilderness. Wilderness.net manages this map as a service to users of digital geographic data. Wilderness.net is in no way condoning or endorsing the application of these data for any given purpose. It is the sole responsibility of the user to determine whether or not the data are suitable for the intended purpose. It is also the obligation of the user to apply those data in an appropriate and conscientious manner. Although Wilderness.net attempts to use the most current and complete geospatial data available, accuracy varies. Wilderness.net provides no warranty, nor accepts any liability occurring from any incorrect, incomplete, or misleading data, or from any incorrect, incomplete, or misleading use of these data.
Boundary DescriptionsBy law, boundary descriptions of wilderness are available to the public. Boundary descriptions for all Forest Service wilderness areas are available for download online. For wilderness areas managed by the Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Park Service, boundary descriptions can be obtained by contacting the managing office.
Printed MapsIt's essential to have a good map with you in the backcountry, so here are some good options for places that offer quality printed wilderness maps.
- MyTopo (Prints custom topographic or aerial photographic maps that you create through their online interface and mails them to you next-day. Choose the location, size, resolution, paper type, and other map attributes like flat or folded. This is a much cheaper option than purchasing individual USGS quads and the maps are extremely high quality.)
- National Forest Map Store (Offers standard wilderness-specific maps for most Forest Service wilderness areas. These are typically great maps, although some are older and may contain dated data.)
- USGS (Offers standard quad maps for purchase online or free download. Avoid using the National Atlas, however, as this data is no longer maintained or updated.)