Are you using a screen reader? Click here to view the navigation links for this site as a bulleted list.

Partner logos: BLM, FWS, FS, NPS, University of Montana Logo
Connecting federal employees, scientists, educators, and the public with their wilderness heritage
Text size: A | A | A  [Print]


  1. Where can I get a detailed wilderness or trail map?
    ANSWER: To obtain wilderness maps, trail maps and recommendations on trails or trips, you will need to contact the managing agency of the wilderness directly, since does not provide this information. See the answer to question #2.
  2. How do I contact the managing office for a wilderness area?
    ANSWER: To contact the managing agency office, navigate to a wilderness page using the A to Z list or map. Then click on the "Contacts" tab, if available (click here to see what this looks like). For those areas without a "Contacts" tab, links to managing agency websites, where contact information can be found, are provided under the "General" tab (click here to see what this looks like).
  3. Where can I find information about regulations (i.e. can I bring my dog?, can I have a campfire?), area closures, fire restrictions, fees and permits, and campsite reservations?
    ANSWER: Specific wilderness pages containing a wealth of information can be accessed through the A to Z list or map. Regulations and information about fees and permits, if in place, are listed on each wilderness page under the "Area Management" tab. The "Links" tab, if available, provides links to managing office websites or reservation websites that may contain more information about fees, permits and reservations. The "Trip Planning" tab, if available, lists other information about recreational opportunities, current conditions and safety.
  4. I'm not sure where I want to go. How can I get a trail or destination recommendation?
    ANSWER: The best thing to do is contact the managing agency office (see the answer to question #2).
  5. The area I want information on isn't listed on How can I find out about it?
    ANSWER: Since has information on legislatively designated Federal wilderness areas only, you will need to look elsewhere to find information on other type of public lands including state and tribal wilderness areas, National Forests, National Parks, state and local parks, National Monuments, National Wild and Scenic Rivers, National Recreation Areas etc. Visit for listings of other types of federal, state and local public lands. also facilitates various types of reservations, including campground and campsite reservations.
  6. Where can I find wilderness GIS data?
    ANSWER: Wilderness boundaries are available for download as shapefiles (individually or the entire wilderness system) or in Google Earth format (by state). Boundaries are also available as a public ArcGIS map service.
  7. Where can I get a wilderness-related job or internship or find funding or grants?
    ANSWER: To begin your job or internship search, visit the listing of wilderness organizations (NGOs) where you'll find links to local, regional and national advocacy, volunteer and educational organizations involved in wilderness stewardship. does not offer employment opportunities unless we have special project needs.

Give us your feedback